Thursday, January 05, 2006

Catching Up with Christmas and the New Year

This is a catch up over events that happened during the Christmas and New Year periods. I've been extremely busy in work and socially too, preventing me from updating this as much as I would like.

Because of this, my attempts to make this more of a diary than some post and comment blog is going to be punctuated by large empty pages. Although I still prefer this blog, my last one on 20six tended to centre on comments and therefore it was more about writing for your audience rather than for yourself, which is what this allows me to do, of course in the knowledge that people do occasionally read it.

There's a number of things to discuss, my trip home to Swansea before Christmas, the big day itself, New Year jinks and a number of other interesting events occuring inbetween involving doctors, bankers, thieves, drug addicts, priests, yoga instrutors and many more.

So after my last serious post, I took the next couple of weeks easy, trying to regain my strength and not exasperate the effect the virus had on me. This of course meant that I had to avoid Christmas shopping, and so did it all online, which was so easy, it's definately the same plan next year. Perhaps because of this, and also missing all eight of the office Christmas parties through illness and recovery, this year Christmas just didn't feel the same, there was no excitement, no anticipation, no desire for Christmas and all it entails.

It was with this appriention that I headed back to Swansea the week before, to see family and friends. Ever since I had to stay in London 4 years ago over Christmas, I've always preferred to stay up here and spend it with friends, rather than lock myself with the family in the house on top of the mountain, with no shops, pubs, social life, and little chance to meet up with my friends who still live there. Basically it boils down to 3 ddays locked away with my mother, who I love to pieces, but can drive me back to smoking within 6 hours if I'm not carefull, like the last time I went back.

The benefit of this year's visit was going to see my friend's babies, all of whom it's their first Christmas, and unlike in September when I went back, they're all now so much more aware of what's going on, and of course as with most babies first Christmas, there's a build up of excitement, not from the babies themselves, but all the adults surrounding them, just what i needed to get me into the spirit of things. Then there's the late night drinking with my non-paternal friends and all their amusing stories of the last 6 months. Of course no visit could be complete without the speed visiting of the family, I successfully managed seeing 26 members of the family, coveriing a 15 mile radius, drinking 6 cups of coffee, 3 Lagers, a G&T and 5 mince pies all within 5 hours. Fantastic!

So then it was back to London, and a excitable week in work as the clock ticked down to 5 days of wanton irresponsibility. Come Friday I was highly spirited and looking forward to the weekend prospects, I had arranged to go out clubbing, but first I had arranged to meet the doctor and his boyfriend the banker, which tunred out to be a meeting of mixed blessings, I really enjoyed their company alongside that of their friend and the doctor's sister, who happens to be a journalist for a worldwide paper, and also manages to live on a houseboat in docklands, untterly fascinating, then I discovered that my bag had been stolen, containing my ccredit cards and my iPod, what a bugger. Still I had somehow managed to get into such a good mood, that this didn't dampen my evening, and with the knowledge that I had at least stored my happy pills on my body headed into Vauxhall for a free party, which was great fun, before heading over to A:M alongside all the other pre Christmas clubbers into a nice fucked up funky feeling.

Before I know it, I was chilling out at a friend's fllat and discovered it was Christmas Eve. So I headed back to my house, suddenly realising that my bag was gone, and that I needed to call the credit card companies to cancel. Is there's one thing I've learned over this holiday period is that being on K, while trying to navigate the telephone systems of card companies isn't entirly suitable or productive. Thankfully my flatmates were more suitably sober to make their way through to actual people to whom I could report my loss. Still every cloud allows me to update my iPod to a new video version, with which i wait with bated breath.

Then it was dinner with the flatmates family and our friends in Greenwich, getting merrily drunk to build up to Midnight Mass. Dinner was lovely, if you're ever in Greenwich please do eat at the Bar Du Musee, what initally looks like a small bar apon entering suddenly expands at the rear into a large, gloomy anmospheric restaurant, where the meaning of musical chairs will explain itself. If you manage to obtain a decent chair the advise is to never leave it, not even for a bathroom break. After dinner it was present giving time, and as always with our friend Steph, it a game of who can get the tackiest present which can offend and amuse in equal quanities. I managed to disturb her date (which was their second and possibly last) by my gift to her of a Voodoo boyfriend doll, while see equally disturbed me with her gift of a porn magazine containing over 50 women. Speechless wasn't the word, a double scotch was needed before I could even contemplating speaking again.

Then as we staggered back to the house, a short nightcap was done, then off to Midnight Mass, always a tradition back in Swansea, always with the aim of reaching there after the pub as with the majoirty of the congregation. St Mary's in Brockley though seemed filled with a largely sober audience, although I had managed toi convince my flatmate's mother to join me. I've always enjoyed Midnight Mass, even during my anti church years, it's always summed up Christmas, and kick started the day for me personnally. The most pleasing thing afterwards was chatting to the new Father outside the Church, and discovering he's Irish, I've always preferred Irish Priests, they always make me feel more guilty, but in a good way, it's like being spanked verbally when they condem my sins.

Then it was back to the house for a well-deserved sleep, something I hadn't managed since Thursday night. Finally woke up around 11, and considering I was supposed to make breakfast for everyone staying at 10, was not a good time, although by the time I staggered downstairs and made coffee, eveyone else had already eaten, and were all getting prepared to go to the pub. So after a quick shower and change, we all jumped into the jeep, and went over to Greenwich park to see the sights and the deer. I've always enjoyed Greenwich park, and the view from the Observatory of the Thames skyline including St Paul's and the H of P are always impressive, and there was a large number of people enjoying it also. Then we all trapsed to the pub, and spent a good couple of hours there until my flatmate who had gone back to the house to prepare dinner came to collect us. Dinner was amazing, I'd like to say that my flatmate is an impressive cook, yet heating up pre cooked veg, turkey and beef from M&S doesn't really constitute as cooking does it?

Then it was the joys of present opening, usually I receive really nice presents from my family and friends, this year I seriously have to question whether they know me at all, or at least in any specific way. Apart from the porn mag, the other disappoints this year included my flatmates presents of a hot water bottle in the shape of a penis (they got me this as when they wanted one to borrow earlier this year, I didn't have one), the El Divo album ( they know I adore Opera, and it's for that reason alone why I dislike them so much, do I really want to listen to Unbreak my Heart in Italian sung by 3rd rate tenors), and Sharon Osbourne bio (while i like her cutty remarks on TV, not interested in where she came from).

Still there was always Trade to look forward to in the evening, and I was duly rescued from Trival Pursuit arguements at 10pm and whisked off to Trademills in North London for 10 hours of dancing, drugs, hot hot guys and general excitement. I've always liked Christmas Trade, it's busy without being too busy so you can't move, and the crowd are there to enjoy themselves, they're all happy as they've managed to escape from the family, or if not, then they're no longer alone on Christmas day. Fantastic!

Finally managed to get home on the Tuesday, having found myself back at my friend's P's on Boxing Day, and we had one of our rare but very enjoyable chats that discuss everything from physics to love to space travel while getting increasingly pissed. Then it was an early night, as I was back into work on the Wednesday, which is nice as it's quiet all the bosses are away, and we work half day's only.

Then on Wednesday evening it was round the doctor and banker's place for dinner, which was lovely, then we all chatted, I somehow managed to drink 2 bottles of red by myself, and we indulged a little in K, before we know it it was 2am, so we all trapsed to bed, where we managed (admittedly through the use of viagra) to have sex for 2 hours before crashing to sleep, and waking again at 7 to get to work. I have to say, although we're all clear on the rules of our mange-a-trois, I've never before enjoyed sex as i do when with these 2 guys, the sessions tend to last between 2-3 hours, and as there's 3 of us, you can always take a quick rest while the other 2 continue, then join back in whn you want. The other thing is that while I've been a top many times before, with these 2, I've been really enjoying it on a level I didn't think was possible, as someone who hasn't always wanted passionate sex all the time, this has enlightened me as to why that is appealing to some. I can't help but enjoy the whole thing, and I'm always smiling, and discussing the whole situation with my friends, completely pissing them all off with me, as it's the kind of situation most gay men would enjoy.

Then on Friday I recieved a call from my ex's boyfriend asking me to call round on him, as he's developed this coke problem which has escalated beyond control. It's no longer a weekend thing as a one off, it's every day, every hour, and this includes at work where I found out that the majority of the staff are taking coke all day as well. So I managed to track him down to a club and discussed the issue with him.

I've had my own problems with addiction in the past, so I know the lies you tell others and yourself, so while he was telling me that it's under control and that he was in rehab, I could tell that it was a lie, and so I walked away. The thing about addicts is that they need to be willing to accept their problem for anyone to help them, it was the case for me, and my friends who had been in similar positions. So a couple of hours later I saw him hanging outside the toilts and dragged him in with me, whereby I explained that he could lie to me as much as he liked, but he couldn't keep lying to himself, and if he wanted my help with his problem then I would do anything i could to help, but if h wasn't willing to admit his problem, and he felt I was interferring then he just had to ask me to stop and I would. He finally started to see what was happening, and while it may have been the start of him accepting, it was the constant support of all his other friends and boyfriend over the next few days that have finally made him realise what's he's done, and admit he needs help. Hopefully he'll do well, and with everyone behind him, I'm sure he will.

Then that leaves me to discuss New Years Day, which started the Friday at A:M, continues throughout the day at a friend's house, before going to an private party for a nice chilled out evening, then onto a club on New Years Day morning , and finally ending at 3am on Tuesday morning with only 5 hours total sleep since Thursday evening.

Needless to say this weekend will be spent realxing and catching up on all the sleep missed over the last 2 weeks.