Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Curse

Do you ever believe in curses? I never used to either, until a series of illnesses has swept our household.

I live in a 4 bedroom house in Brockley, It's owned by a gay couple I've lived with for 3 years now, and I was living with them in Charlton before they decided to sell up and by our current abode. They asked me to move with them, and having enjoyed my time with them over that year together in Charlton, and considering the hassle of moving separately and finding somewhere pleasant to live in, both in terms of premises and occupants, in London is extremely rare, so then I agreed. Of course it wasn't really much of a decision, I adore the guys I live with, although their only 6-7 years older than me, they have become my surrogate parents, always looking out for me, allowing me to confide in them, and when I've really needed help, almost desperately on a couple of occasions, they have always been there for me.

Comparing this against the guy I was sharing with before in West London, which was the first house I moved to, when I first arrived in London. Although at first he seemed ok, I was incredibly naive at the time. He helped me understand how you manage to live in London without a) being mugged or b) appearing to be a mugger. Well after about a year, he met a soldier through gaydar, my flatmate being 45 (although he only claimed to others to be 35) and the soldier being 20, which at the time was closer to my age, so both of us got on very well instantly. Then we discovered we had similar backgrounds and lots of other common interests. I have to admit initially I did fancy him, although because he was dating my flatmate, I decided not to peruse this. It was also at this time I started having a drink problem. This accelerated through the summer months, as did my flatmate's jealousy towards the soldier’s activities.

When I finally realised my drinking problem was getting out of hand, I asked my flatmate for his help. Now for me to ask for help is rare, and means I'm really in trouble, it was also that same evening that his jealousy and reached it's peak when the soldier wanted to go home with someone else he had met in a club that night. Later in the week, I was in the garden with the soldier discussing things, when he brought up my drink problem (I had asked my flatmate to be discrete about it), he asked me whether it was because I was in love with him and because he kept going off with other men. I couldn't believe this, my problem wasn't related to him, and I wasn't in love with him, so I asked where did he get this information from, only to be told that my flatmate had used my problem to vent his own frustrations due to his jealousy, and instead of saying he was unhappy about it, he had told the soldier my drink problem was because he kept playing away. So I moved out into the house in Charlton. By the way the soldier and I are still friends to this day, and I haven't spoken to my former flatmate since that day.

I've digressed, curses, anyway the house we now live in. I found out yesterday that one of my flatmates as just been diagnosed with Skin Cancer, this is following on this year from his partner's battle with Testicular Cancer, and our former housemates battle with alcohol addiction, my internal bleeding problems and another former housemate's liver problems. All of which came into effect after we had moved into the house, or the housemate's had. Does this mean that the house is cursed to inflict illness on the occupants, or is it just coincidence?